Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

School Tech Connect: Stunning Turnover

School Tech Connect: Stunning Turnover:

Stunning Turnover

By the end of my fifth year of teaching, I hadn't yet begun to understand that I was popular but not particularly effective. I was awesome at teaching Wanda Phillips' Easy Grammar, I could do organized crowd control, I could demonstrate the most formulaic kinds of writing, and I had a fantastic opinion of my own abilities, but I didn't really have any lasting impact until about ten years of service.

It's something you don't start to see until later. Teaching people to write involves a great deal more than all the braying I was doing about five paragraph essays and vocabulary words and punctuation and sentence combining and god knows what all.

85% of these people are gone by the fifth year.

Two years ago, I spent a couple days at a charter school filled with TFA people. I focused on the language arts