Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 18, 2011

SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Jackson Pollock Comes To The NYC DOE

SOUTH BRONX SCHOOL: Jackson Pollock Comes To The NYC DOE

Jackson Pollock Comes To The NYC DOE

Years ago, I think around 1996, my wife and I were passing through Austerlitz NY on Labor Day weekend and came upon a yard sale. At this yard sale my wife, who happens to be an artist, noticed this watercolor of a beach seen. She wanted it really bad, and easily shelled out the $2 to purchase it.

A friend of mine that just proudly decorated his living room with an oil painting bought at the Galleria Mall in White Plains derided us for buying art at a yard sale. He said, "you need to be careful who you buy art from. You should know the name of the person to make sure it will have value."

Whenever my wife and I go to MoMA or to the Met, I am like a little kid when I see anything of Jackson Pollock's. It must be the neurons in my ADD mind that go off or something like that. I just stared and study