Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jersey Jazzman: I Wouldn't Wrap a Fish In the LA Times

Jersey Jazzman: I Wouldn't Wrap a Fish In the LA Times

I Wouldn't Wrap a Fish In the LA Times

Worst editorial of the year? We may have a winner!
Students don't generally like tests, and a certain number of them cheat. Yet it's a rare educator who would advocate eliminating tests or not including them in a student's grade. Why, then, does each new scandal involving cheating teachers and administrators lead to a fresh round of calls to eliminate tests or at minimum not make them count for anything?
OK, stop right there! Are you freaking kidding me? Who is saying we should eliminate tests? Or not make them count? I'll tell you who: no one.

The issue has never been about tests; everyone knows teachers give tests in schools. And the issue has