Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 27, 2011

The last straw: A letter to the Wisconsin State Journal by Grant Petty |

The last straw: A letter to the Wisconsin State Journal by Grant Petty |

The last straw: A letter to the Wisconsin State Journal by Grant Petty

I received permission to publish this letter from Grant. It was written Sunday, June 26 and is spreading rampantly on the net. From Grant, “I’m a bit stunned by the attention my open letter to the Wisconsin State Journal is generating. In addition to countless ordinary folks, I’ve heard from a state senator, a state legislator, and the former mayor of Fitchburg. And it’s still early Monday morning!”

Dear Wisconsin State Journal,

As non-union public sector workers (yes, we exist) who are about to be hit with an 8+% take-home pay cut, my wife and I have to decide what luxuries we’re going to cut out of our lives. She has been arguing for weeks that we should let our subscription to your paper expire. Despite my longstanding