Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 21, 2011

I pass « JD2718

I pass « JD2718

I pass

For years I avoided holidays altogether. Birthdays? The were always good. But not holiday. The muttering in incomprehensible dead languages. Fantastic fables. Us vs them mentality. Meaningless ritual. And then I agreed to come back to my father’s for Pesach, and only Pesach. Made it clear, but still got invites to others. Nope, not a chance, not interested at all.
Pesach was loaded with stories, fables, like the others, but not like the others. It is celebrated at home, with only family and friends. The meal is the thing.
And the stories, well there are those myths, but the story part is a freedom story. Pharaoh, we might say, but “Pharaoh” in an upright flat American accent we might hear sung… Or Moses… as the story was adopted by a



An appeal on TDRs

This letter started making the rounds yesterday via e-mail and listserve. I have not yet seen it published.
Dear Mr. Mulgrew,
    I am a veteran public school teacher of 33 years and have taught a variety of subject areas and grades during my tenure. I began as a middle school special education teacher  and am currently a licensed teacher for the Gifted and Talented Program, grade 5 .  I have an exemplary record and have contributed in a positive way to many, many students most of whom I still keep in contact via that technological wonder, Facebook!
    I received my Teacher Data Report on Wednesday, April 13 and was demoralized beyond words. I was rated an “average” teacher in both E.L.A. and Math and “below average” in one area of the math. I sat and