Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 25, 2011

Equity and Excellence, Part One « InterACT

Equity and Excellence, Part One « InterACT

Equity and Excellence, Part One

On Thursday, April 21, 2011, I delivered prepared remarks for a meeting of the U.S. Department of Education’s Equity and Excellence Commission, convened in San Jose. Some of the Commissioners heard from speakers and engaged with us in a question and answer session in the afternoon, prior to a larger, public Town Hall event held later in the evening. My colleague in Accomplished California Teachers, Martha Infante, was one of the speakers in the public portion of the event that evening, and her remarks can be seen and heard online (see thisprior InterACT blog post for more).

My own remarks, as delivered, can be found here (PDF). However, in this blog post, I am publishing a prior draft that includes much of what I wanted to say but had to cut due to time constraints. Today’s post covers the first half of my planned remarks, and a subsequent post will pick up the second half.

I very much appreciate the invitation to speak to you this afternoon. I would like to start by thanking to