Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Margaret's Musings: Is this really ‘What democracy is all about?’ | Hudson Star-Observer | Hudson, Wisconsin #wiunion

Margaret's Musings: Is this really ‘What democracy is all about?’ | Hudson Star-Observer | Hudson, Wisconsin

Margaret's Musings: Is this really ‘What democracy is all about?’

A lot of things have shocked me in the last month. One of the most disturbing is the fact that people I know and have known for 20 years seem to think that mob action, verbal abuse and the death threats that have been hurling around the state and Hudson are OK.

By: Margaret Ontl, Hudson Star-Observer

A lot of things have shocked me in the last month. One of the most disturbing is the fact that people I know and have known for 20 years seem to think that mob action, verbal abuse and the death threats that have been hurling around the state and Hudson are OK.

In fact, one friend scoffed when I asked her how she would like it if the threat was made against her and her children. The response basically insinuated that somehow it was a joke or that the threat was self generated by the victims. In this particular case we were talking about Senator Sheila Harsdorf.

Knowing it was my turn to write a column this week, everything that came to mind seemed like I would be preaching or condemning someone’s actions. Believe me it is a higher power than me that will offer that judgment.

The truth is that I have spent most of my life trying to be apolitical. While I laud those who choose to run for any public office, the bellicose nature of politics is simply revolting to me and the vehement