Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 28, 2011

Rachel's Rants, Raves, and Recollections: Why I Stand with Wisconsin Workers #WIunion

Rachel's Rants, Raves, and Recollections: Why I Stand with Wisconsin Workers

Why I Stand with Wisconsin Workers


Since Madison, Wisconsin is burning as I blog, I must to take a moment to support teachers unions and unions in general. And I want to explain that support. Despite my own teaching and union/non-union experiences, I don't think I understood and appreciated the role of unions until just recently. These two pieces, one by award-winning Maryland social studies teacher blogger Kenneth Bernstein and the other by California English teacher blogger David Cohen, helped me to understand the importance of unions.

My parents and their parents before them, were not wealthy, but nor were they workers, unionized or otherwise (although my maternal grandfather's father was very active in the railroad telegraphers union in Illinois). My father's parents were the children of Eastern European immigrants and owned a stationary store in Brooklyn,