Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 28, 2011

Bloomberg’s Classless Welcome Back from Break « Outside the Cave

Bloomberg’s Classless Welcome Back from Break « Outside the Cave

Bloomberg’s Classless Welcome Back from Break

Dear Mr. Mayor,

I just wanted to thank you for the welcome back to school you had waiting for me in the papers today. I’m assuming, though, that before that, you’d want to know how my vacation was?

Like many teachers, it wasn’t a vacation at all. I spent the week preparing to teach a new unit on revolutions in global history. I have taught this unit before, but the events in the Middle East are far too relevant to ignore, so I spent hours finding just the right video clips and news articles to show my students that people do have power to change their lives and environments. As I finished up yesterday evening, I was more excited to teach today than I had been in a long time, even though the first day back from break is always one of the most challenging.

But you see, here’s the rub: I am not thinking about teaching today anymore. I’m not really thinking much about my students, either. I’m trying to figure out who the five teachersare at my school are who could be laid off. Our first-year history and math teachers are obvious, but I’m not sure who the other three are. We have Spanish, English, and health teachers who are new to our school, but I can’t remember how many years they have in the system. We have a third-year history teacher who is on the border; could he be in danger? Or maybe it’s the fourth-year P.E. teacher who is about to become a first-time father this month? The doubt is all I can focus on right now.

And if that’s all I’m thinking about this morning, I can only imagine what it’s like for the seven of them. I can’t imagine they will be able to focus on their students this morning,