Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The New Old School � Chalkdust101

The New Old School � Chalkdust101

The New Old School

Much research has been done on my part recently regarding how I work well. Note, that is not how I work, but how I work WELL. As much as I am fond, perhaps overly, of using digital resources for the scheduling, planning, mapping, sorting, sifting, and creating in my daily life, there is a threshold that I think I have reached in regards to what my limitations are with computing. There are some things that pen and paper are just plain better for when it comes to my thinking. Moving into this new space is going to require me to have some hard-copy places for my ideas and notes. And, we don’t have universal wireless access where I am going yet–that presents a little snag.

When I was a freshman in college, I had these high school habits that were really hard to kick. Transcribing every word the professor said into my three-subject, spiral-bound, loose-leaf notebook, retyping rewriting those notes the night before an exam, and absolutely tanking on any type of exam that wasn’t based on factual recall.

By the time my sophomore year rolled around, two things had changed. First, I recognized that my talents did