Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Education Overload � InterACT

Education Overload � InterACT

Education Overload

I was feeling pretty smart last week, strolling the halls of our state capitol and talking about teacher evaluation reforms with members of our legislature. The policy report that Accomplished California Teachers published recently has been well-received, and policy makers are, as we’d hoped, asking for our input about current initiatives and future ones. I was in a follow-up meeting in my hometown, meeting in my state senator’s office on Tuesday, when his legislative director asked me if I had actually read one of the bills we had touched upon in our conversation. It wasn’t meant as a challenge, but simply a point of clarification regarding the background of our discussion. I freely admitted I hadn’t read the actual bill yet, and we continued to converse pleasantly about the issues; then, I went home to do my homework.
For teachers like me, who take an interest in political developments in education, it can become a time-