Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 7, 2010

Remarks by The First Lady at Mother's Day Tea | The White House

Remarks by The First Lady at Mother's Day Tea | The White House

Remarks by The First Lady at Mother's Day Tea

State Dining Room
3:15 P.M. EDT
MRS. OBAMA: Well, isn’t this lovely -- and very civilized. (Laughter.) Hello everyone, and thank you so much for joining us here at the White House as we gather to celebrate Mother’s Day and honor all of the extraordinary women in our lives.
Today is also Military Spouses Appreciation Day, and we have some of the spouses and mothers of military members who are here with us, so let’s give them a round of applause. (Applause.) We are forever grateful for your service and inspired by your strength. So we -- as always, Jill and I remain supportive. We will continue to do everything we can to support your efforts. And I know Jill is here. Where is Jill? There you are. (Laughter.) There she is. Let’s give Jill a round of applause, too. (Applause.)
I also want to thank former First Lady Rosalynn Carter for being here. Mrs. Carter, where are you? I can’t keep up with everyone. (Applause.)
Mrs. Carter, you have been just a wonderful support and a source of knowledge for me during my time here. You have been so generous. We try to have lunch together whenever you come into the city, and I just have to say that the time that we spend together means a great deal. So I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your support.
As many of you know, Mrs. Carter is an advocate for mental health work. She’s just written a book, and we’re going to be doing more work together on post-traumatic stress disorder and mental health. So she hasn’t