Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 18, 2010

This Week In Education Media: Darling-Hammond Tells Her Version

This Week In Education

Media: Darling-Hammond Tells Her Version

147066705_c1a74e3b64In this email, Linda Darling-Hammond decries this recent New York Times' article as riddled with errors and describes the ins and outs of her involvement with the elementary school and the high school. I meant to contact her earlier in the week, and will now see what the Times reporter Carol Pogash has to say. Meantime, read the email below. Picture unrelated.
The couple of stories I’ve seen, especially one from the New York Times, were riddled with errors. I thought you might want to have the facts.
I was one of a number of people who helped to start the high school in 2001 at the district's request, because they lost their only community high school during desegregation and the students were bussed out. I was a faculty advisor until spring of 2008 when I left the board while working on the Obama campaign and later transition. I have just returned to the Stanford New Schools board as an advisor to the high school, and am getting up to speed myself on the last couple of years of its work.
The high school has made great progress over the years since it was founded. It has created a strong, highly personalized college-going program and currently has a graduation rate of 86 percent,