Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 16, 2010

Remarks by the First Lady at California Endowment "Building Healthier Communities" event | The White House

Remarks by the First Lady at California Endowment "Building Healthier Communities" event | The White House

Remarks by the First Lady at California Endowment "Building Healthier Communities" event


New Roots Community Farm, San Diego, California

2:43 P.M. PDT
MRS. OBAMA: Thank you, everyone. Thank you so much. It is -- (applause) -- thank you, guys. (Applause.) All right, you all are crazy. (Laughter.)

I am just delighted to be here. I can’t tell you -- as much as I love living in Washington, there is nothing that I love better than getting out of Washington -- (laughter) -- particularly when it means coming to such a beautiful community with such energy and passion. So I am happy to be here.

I want to start by thanking Rosa for her wonderful introduction, for her terrific leadership in community service. We are so very proud of you. Let’s give her a big hand. (Applause.) Thank you, Rosa.

And I just want to also acknowledge a few people, as well. I’m honored to be joined by the Lieutenant Governor -- it’s so good to see you, thank you for your work -- as well as the State Controller. Wonderful to see you. Thank you so much for taking the time to be here.

I know that the mayor had to leave, but I want to thank he and his wife for being here. I know that the one thing I heard over there, when I was touring the plots -- more land! (Applause.) More land. (Applause.) But he’s done a terrific job, and I just want to thank all the city officials here for making this visit wonderful. To all of the elected officials who are here, thank you for your work, your leadership, your energy.

I want to thank Bob Montgomery and Amy Lint from the New Roots Community Farm. Yay! (Applause.) They’re doing a fabulous job, and proud of their work, and full of the kind of energy that you need to get this thing going.

And I want to again acknowledge the 14 community leaders who are here, the Building Healthy Community partners who are representing all segments of this state. Don’t let Dr. Ross use that picture as any kind of leverage. (Laughter.) You get the picture and hassle him when you need to, right? (Laughter.) I know they will.

We are just proud of the work that you’re doing. And I know that everyone could not be here, but I know that you’ll