Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This Week In Education: Media: Washington Post's "Best Blog 2010" Hits & Misses


This Week In Education: Media: Washington Post's "Best Blog 2010" Hits & Misses:

Media: Washington Post's "Best Blog 2010" Hits & Misses

Thanks to Jay and Valerie for including This Week In Education in their best blogs of 2010 list. Great choices, you two; you're not half bad yourselves.  Now let me return the favor by correcting and criticizing all your picks: 
GingerFredI liked the inclusion of Public School Insights (led by "Baron" Claus von Zastrow) but I'd add the EdNews Colorado, Voice of San Diego (Emily Alpert), Philly Notebook, and GothamSchools as particularly promising beat / theme blogs (with real reporters and everything). 
I'd also add Politics K12 at EdWeek for its coverage of all things Duncan (though I worry about them getting cozy with their sources).  Other current favorites:  Larry Ferlazzo, the Knowledgeable Sourcerer, Perimeter Primate.   I do a roundup of best blog posts every day.  You know who you are.
I don't think Linda Perlstein's been at it long enough to call her Educated Reporter a best blog -- and I wonder about journalist types who blog without reading (and linking to) other education blogs (though I do like that she reads Gawker). Other promising but largely untested entrants include GOOD's new education page (led by former TWIE contributor Amanda Millner-Fairbanks).  We shall see.
Things on this topic I've said before:  Blogs are dead in the age of