Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Moving from Performing as a Student to Performing as a Scholar: More on Writing and Citation – radical eyes for equity

Moving from Performing as a Student to Performing as a Scholar: More on Writing and Citation – radical eyes for equity
Moving from Performing as a Student to Performing as a Scholar: More on Writing and Citation



The first time I recall being viewed as “good at writing” was in high school when I submitted a parody of my friends and teachers for a short story assignment; this was probably my junior year of high school during Mr. Harrill’s American literature class, and I am quite certain that I would be mortified by the story if I could read it now.

A couple years later, however, my “writer epiphany” came the spring of my first year of college. I very clearly mark the beginning of my life as a writer with a poem I wrote from my dorm room, inspired by being introduced to e.e. cummings in my speech course with Mr. Brannon.

To be blunt, I likely didn’t really write anything of consequence until my mid-30s—specifically my doctoral dissertation. And then, my life as a published academic really didn’t occur until I was in my early 40s (my 20s and 30s had a smattering of published poems, stories, and scholarship).

These realizations about writing quality over decades of formal schooling and so-called serious writing help inform my work as a teacher of writing. My undergraduates are unlikely to write anything of real consequence while in college so I see my job as helping them develop behaviors the support the possibility of CONTINUE READING: Moving from Performing as a Student to Performing as a Scholar: More on Writing and Citation – radical eyes for equity