Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 4, 2021

A VERY BUSY DAY Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

 Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


SEL Weekly Update
I’ve recently begun this weekly post where I’ll be sharing resources I’m adding to The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources or other related “Best” lists. You might also be interested in THE BEST SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING RESOURCES OF 2020 – PART TWO. Finally, check out “Best” Lists Of The Week: Social Emotional Learning Resources . Here are this week’s picks: This Year, Try Downsizing
Monday’s Must-Read Articles On School Reopenings
geralt / Pixabay Here are new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : The pandemic has made the ‘unseen’ dysfunctionality of the leadership of many school districts’ ‘seen’ https://t.co/AGKnz1c4KI — Larry Ferlazzo (@Larryferlazzo) January 3, 2021 When will teachers get vaccinated? Some already have — but most are nervously waiting. is from The Washington P
Three Accessible Ways To Search For & Find My “Best” Lists
(Note: I am going to publish this same post once each month to remind regular readers and inform newer ones about how to access my “Best” lists) As regular readers know, I have about 2,200 categorized and regularly updated “Best” lists. You can find all of them in broad categories here . The link to that page can also be found at the top right of my blog: My Best Of Series I also have them all on
A Look Back: “What I Cannot Create, I Do Not Understand”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . www_slon_pics / Pixabay “What I Cannot Create, I Do Not Understand” That’s what was on Nobel-Prize winning physicist Richard Feynman’s blackboard when he died . I found this image in an article at Scientific American titled Hunters of
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
BiljaST / Pixabay Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention. You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020. Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners. In additi
‘I No Longer Give Grades on Student Writing Assignments, and It’s the Best Thing Ever!’
is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. Five educators share how they have helped students motivate themselves to revise their writing. Here are some excerpts:

JAN 02

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Is On Jan. 18th – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources
WikiImages / Pixabay Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be celebrated on January 18th this year. You might be interested in The Best Websites For Learning About Martin Luther King, Jr .
Most Popular Posts Of The Week
I’m making a change in the content of the regular feature. In addition to sharing the top five posts that have received the most “hits” in the preceding seven days (though they may have originally been published on an earlier date), I will also include the top five posts that have actually appeared in the past week. Often, these are different posts. You might also be interested in IT’S THE THIRTE
Sunday’s Must-Read Articles & Must-Watch Videos On School Reopenings
Memed_Nurrohmad / Pixabay Here are new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : Schools in India have been closed since March. The costs to children are mounting. is from The Washington Post. 4) Given this evidence, I think we need to rethink school reopenings until we get this new B117 variant strain under control. We need every teacher and school worker (
A Look Back: Here’s My Chapter On Elements Of A Successful Lesson, Along With Student Hand-Outs THEY Use To Teach
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2015. Kidaha / Pixabay I’m a big advocate and practitioner of creating opportunities for students to be teachers (see The Best Posts On Helping Students Teach Their Classmates ). I’ve previously posted
“substack” Looks Like An Easy Way To Create Email Newsletters
I had heard a little about substack , but didn’t really have any idea about what it was until I read this week’s New Yorker article headlined Is Substack the Media Future We Want? I thought it was a pretty interesting article, and it’s not very long. It’s easy to use it substack to “monetize” an email newsletter by charging for a subscription, but it appears just as easy to create a free one. I’m
Saturday’s Must-Read Articles & Must-Watch Videos on School Reopenings
congerdesign / Pixabay Here are new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : What Gov. Newsom’s $2 billion school reopening plan means for Sacramento-area districts is from The Sacramento Bee. Covid fears spark revolt by unions over return to school in England is from The Guardian. Ministers urged to close all schools in England for two weeks is from The Gu
This Would Be An Interesting Social Studies Assignment: Choose The Best & Worst Years In History
johnhain / Pixabay In my ELL World and U.S. History classes, I’ll often have students do projects where they have to identify who they think were the most influential figures, or the most important events (of course, they have to back-up their claims with evidence). I use materials from The Best “Lists Of Lists” Of Influential People, Events & Ideas as models. I’ve recently seen pieces arguing ab
Ed Tech Digest
Nine years ago, in another somewhat futile attempt to reduce the backlog of resources I want to share, I began this occasional “” post where I share three or four links I think are particularly useful and related to…ed tech, including some Web 2.0 apps. You might also be interested in THE BEST ED TECH RESOURCES OF 2020 – PART TWO , as well as checking out all my edtech resources . Here are this w
I Created My Own News Aggregator With AllTop – You Can Use Mine Or Create Your Own
AllTop has been around awhile. It’s a “news aggregator” – it identifies a number of topics and then creates pages on them with updated stories from different sites specializing in those topics. The stories are updated by RSS feeds which, prior to the advent of social media ten years ago, which was the way a ton of people consumed Web content. It’s still around, and many of us use feed readers lik
A Look Back: Classroom Management Strategy: “Sometimes The Only Thing Worse Than Losing A Fight Is Winning One”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . This post originally appeared in 2013. OpenClipart-Vectors / Pixabay An old community organizing adage goes like this: “Sometimes the only thing worse than losing a fight is winning one.” In organizing, that can mean your group gave so
Video: “What is a Map?”
MabelAmber / Pixabay I’ve previously shared about a new Geography video series Crash Course started last month. I thought this episode in particular would be useful:

  Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007