Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

SEE YOU IN WESTERN EUROPE, I’M SURE YOU”LL FIND YOUR OWN WAY. – Dad Gone Wild

SEE YOU IN WESTERN EUROPE, I’M SURE YOU”LL FIND YOUR OWN WAY. – Dad Gone Wild

SEE YOU IN WESTERN EUROPE, I’M SURE YOU”LL FIND YOUR OWN WAY


“The radio was on and that was the first time I heard that song, the one I hate. Whenever I hear it all I can think of is that very day riding in the front seat with Lucy leaning against me and the smell of Juicy Fruit making me want to throw up. How can a song do that? Be like a net that catches a whole entire day, even a day whose guts you hate? You hear it and all of a sudden everything comes hanging back in front of you, all tangled up in that music.”
― Lynda Barry
“Believe me, the library is the temple of God. Education is the most sacred religion of all.”
― Gene Simmons
Like most Nashville residents, I have been closely following the news about schools. Yesterday Dr. Battle and MNPS released an email and a corresponding press release about the next steps for MNPS. Included in the communication was a schedule for the return to face to face instruction. What wasn’t mentioned in the release was an actual plan.
Just to be sure I wasn’t missing anything, I Googled plan, in order to secure a definition. Meriam-Webster defines a plan as follows,
2aa method for achieving an end
ban often customary method of doing something PROCEDURE
ca detailed formulation of a program of action
dGOALAIM
It appears that MNPS is adhering to D while ignoring, A, B, and C. Throughout the recent process of beginning the transition in delivery of instruction, I’ve seen ample evidence of goals and Aims – return kids to schools, provide quality education, keep everyone safe. What I haven’t seen are any concrete action steps that demonstrate how the district plans to meet those goals. In fact, the word plan is not even mentioned in yesterday’s communication, save at the very end where parent plans are referenced.
Little is offered around the means that we are going to utilize in order to bring the schedule to fruition, let along the factors that influence its advancement. The only action step provided is for community members,
“After a great deal of consultation with Board members and other stakeholders, I believe this phase-in schedule can result in a safe and CONTINUE READING: SEE YOU IN WESTERN EUROPE, I’M SURE YOU”LL FIND YOUR OWN WAY. – Dad Gone Wild