Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007




Guest Post: How Teachers & Students Can Use Google Classroom’s Calendar Most Effectively – Part Two
JCamargo / Pixabay Editor’s Note: Yesterday, Kara Synhorst wrote a guest post titled GUEST POST TUTORIAL: CONNECTING GOOGLE CLASSROOM TO YOUR CALENDAR SO STUDENTS CAN MAKE APPOINTMENTS . Here, today, she presents Part Two, where she discusses ways to use the Google Classroom calendar feature. Kara Synhorst teaches IB English and Theory of Knowledge at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento. In
Video: “The fight for civil rights and freedom – With John Lewis and Bryan Stevenson”
TheDigitalArtist / Pixabay TED Talks just released this “conversation.” I’m adding it to Terrible News: John Lewis Has Passed – Learn About His Life.
“Three Ways to Bring the Classroom to the Community”
Three Ways to Bring the Classroom to the Community is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. Four teachers share their strategies to help students improve their communities, including through “Structured Academic Controversies” and “Genius Hours.” Here are some excerpts:
A Look Back: “Oh, Boy, This Is Great! Researcher’s Scans Show Brain Connections Growing When Learning New Language”
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I originally published this post in 2014. Photo from Ping Li Lab, Penn State Regular readers of this blog and/or my books are familiar with how I help students see the physical impact learning new things can have on its brains (see The
Washington Post Republishes My “Eight Worries”
stevepb / Pixabay The Washington Post republished my post from earlier this morning. You can check out Teacher: Eight concerns about school this fall that are robbing me of sleep .
Guest Post Tutorial: Connecting Google Classroom To Your Calendar So Students Can Make Appointments
Editor’s note: This is a guest post by my superteacher colleague Kara Synhorst. I’m adding it to THE BEST ONLINE TOOLS FOR REMOTE TEACHING – SHARE YOUR OWN . Kara Synhorst teaches IB English and Theory of Knowledge at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento. As I’m sure most teachers are, I’m preparing for distance learning. One of Larry Ferlazzo’s posts (see Tools To Use For Students To Set Up
Monday’s Three “Must-Read” Articles On School Reopening In The Fall
Here are today’s new additions to THE BEST POSTS PREDICTING WHAT SCHOOLS WILL LOOK LIKE IN THE FALL : “If You Want Us to Reopen, You Cannot Leave Your House From Now Until September” is from Slate. Some Students Should Go to School, Most Should Stay Home is by Shayla R. Griffin. How to Reopen the Economy Without Killing Teachers and Parents is from The NY Times.
John Lewis Was One Of The Original “Freedom Riders” – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources About Them
As you know, John Lewis died over the week end (see TERRIBLE NEWS: JOHN LEWIS HAS PASSED – LEARN ABOUT HIS LIFE ). He, among many other accomplishments, was one of the original thirteen “Freedom Riders” who fought racism in public transportation. You might be interested in The Best Resources For Learning About The “Freedom Riders”
Eight Worries About The Fall That Are Keeping This Teacher Awake At Night
TheDigitalArtist / Pixabay With the decision to have most California schools going to full time distancing learning in the fall, we have received the gift of clarity. At the same time, I have begun working up very early in the morning with thoughts running through my mind about how all this is going to work, and what I have to figure out over the next few weeks. I had a pretty positive experience
“Q&A Collections: Reading Instruction”
Q&A Collections: Reading Instruction is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. All Classroom Q&A posts on Reading Instruction (from the past nine years!) are described and linked to in this compilation post. Here’s an excerpt from one of them:
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 22,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2020 – PAR
A Look Back: Here’s My Chapter On Elements Of A Successful Lesson, Along With Student Hand-Outs THEY Use To Teach
I thought that new – and veteran – readers might find it interesting if I began sharing my best posts from over the years. You can see the entire collection here . I originally published this post in 2015: Clker-Free-Vector-Images / 


Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007