Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 5, 2020

A little more about Chaz | JD2718

A little more about Chaz | JD2718

A little more about Chaz

Chaz's School Daze: The Best Of Chaz's School Daze.
It’s been a month to the day since the world lost Eric Chasanoff to Covid, and a month to the day since the New York City teacher/blogger universe lost Chaz’s School Daze.
I wrote about Chaz in this space – my immediate reaction to his passing. Many others wrote, too. I submitted something to UFT Honors, and they used a few of my words. And then one of the editors suggested I leave a comment – and I did:
I also went back through more of his writing. I had forgotten that Eric had endorsed me for UFT Exec Board not just in the last election, but every time I ran. 2019201620132010.
Our views tended to coincide on contractual and labor issues. But we diverged, mostly on issues related to race, poverty and integration. In recent years I commented less, as his readership (at least in the comments) drifted towards the right.
But our first disagreement? I was in favor of demoting Pluto from planet status. Eric gamely defended the micro-planet (see comments).
A little more about Chaz | JD2718