Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Reader: I Taught SAT Prep. It’s a Sham. | Diane Ravitch's blog

Reader: I Taught SAT Prep. It’s a Sham. | Diane Ravitch's blog

Reader: I Taught SAT Prep. It’s a Sham.



An anonymous reader left this comment about the SAT.
Once upon a time, 25 years ago, I ‘offered’ SAT tutoring (at a rather high price of $50/hr.) to denizens of a tony private school. I could charge that much because I ‘got results’. But, it was rather easy to improve scores.
First, there was the fact that almost all of my clients had scored ‘too low’ when they first took the test. The probability was, therefore, that if they simply took it again, they would ‘improve’. Secondly, most low performers had a certain level of anxiety when they took the test. Simply being familiar with the format by reviewing former tests helped those students assess the test in a more calm and analytical manner. Thirdly, despite the subtraction of ‘wrong’ answers from the score (at a rate commensurate with the number of answers), the students needed to understand that they actually knew something, if only at the subconscious level, and they needed to ‘guess’ (even randomly) because an inaccurate random guess didn’t really count against the score. They needed to trust their instincts.
The result was often (among ‘median’ scores) a 100 point increase. Were the students any ‘smarter’ after the CONTINUE READING: Reader: I Taught SAT Prep. It’s a Sham. | Diane Ravitch's blog