Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 9, 2017

More Truth in Teacher-Written Education Blogs Than Corporate Media | gadflyonthewallblog

More Truth in Teacher-Written Education Blogs Than Corporate Media | gadflyonthewallblog:

More Truth in Teacher-Written Education Blogs Than Corporate Media

Let’s get one thing straight right from the get go: I am biased.
But so are you.
So are the parents, students, principals and school directors. So are the policymakers, the corporate donors and professional journalists.
Everyone involved in education policy is interested in one side or another of the debate. It’s just that some pretend to practice a kind of objectivity while others are open about their partiality.
It’s unavoidable. I’m a public school teacher. Not merely someone who’s taught in a public school for a few years – I’m an educator with more than 15 years experience in the classroom. And I’m still there.
I’m not a Teach for America recruit who committed myself to three years in front of children after a few weeks crash course. Where I am now was my goal in the first place. I’m not doing this to get the credentials for my real dream job, being an education policy advisor for a Congressperson or Senator. Nor do I plan to become a Superintendent, Principal or school administrator someday.
All along, my goal was to have a classroom of my own where I could help children learn.
Moreover, I’m a public school parent. My daughter goes to the same public school my wife and I both attended as children. We could have sent her to a charter or private school. But we made the conscious choice not to, and we’ve never regretted it.
Our local district serves a mostly high poverty population. More than half of the students are minorities. The facilities aren’t as up to date as you’ll find in richer neighborhoods. Class sizes are too large. But we decided that being a part of the More Truth in Teacher-Written Education Blogs Than Corporate Media | gadflyonthewallblog: