Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Stability and Change in a Four-Decade Career in Teaching (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Stability and Change in a Four-Decade Career in Teaching (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:

Stability and Change in a Four-Decade Career in Teaching (Part 3)

Image result for Stability and Change in a Four Decade Career in Teaching
After leaving the superintendency, I spent the next twenty years as  a professor at Stanford University. I taught four courses during the academic year and did research. Most of the courses I taught were about the history of school reform, leadership in schools, instruction and curriculum (for those preparing to teach history in public schools), and organizational theory. I team-taught “The History of School Reform” with historian of education David Tyack for a decade. I also team-taught with high school history teacher Lee Swenson a course on Social Studies Curriculum and Instruction for ten years. The seminar I taught annually was “Good Schools: Research, Policy, and Practice.” After I retired in 2001, I continued to teach the “Good Schools” course every other year until 2013. So for over a quarter-century, I have taught courses at the graduate level. I noted often to myself that what I had learned in teaching 16 year-olds, especially the need for a broad-ranging repertoire of teaching methods applied in many ways to 26 year-olds.
A specific example of how I taught courses might help readers get a clearer sense of my teaching graduate students in their 20s and 30s. Here is an actual lesson plan I prepared for the “Good Schools” seminar I taught in February 2006. The seminar met for an hour and fifty minutes twice a week.
The planning for the lesson generally went like this: the night before I taught, I would re-read the selections I had assigned to students from a reader that I had compiled and they bought. I would type out the lesson plan on my laptop. Next Stability and Change in a Four-Decade Career in Teaching (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice: