Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 10, 2017

BAT Educators: Why Did You Go Into This Profession? by Priscilla Sanstead and Dr. Michael Flanagan Badass Teachers Association:

Badass Teachers Association: BAT Educators: Why Did You Go Into This Profession? by Priscilla Sanstead and Dr. Michael Flanagan:

BAT Educators: Why Did You Go Into This Profession?
 by Priscilla Sanstead and Dr. Michael Flanagan

We recently posed the question on the Badass Teachers’ Association Facebook group, “Why did you become educators?” The answers were as interesting, as inspiring, and as diverse, as the dedicated professionals who populate BATs. Teachers have taken a lot of hits in recent years; let’s look back to what brought us to the teaching profession in the first place in the hopes that it will keep us energized to fight for the future.  (Comments posted with permission).


LOVE OF TEACHING
  • “I came into this profession because I love children and want them to succeed.”                     - Debbie Doty Reddick

  • “I teach to teach children that's it's ok to be yourself, even if you're different even if you're weird, even if it seems like no one understands you. I teach so that my weirdest, loneliest kids can know someone out there cares about them and accepts them for who they are. I teach kids that the world is wide and diverse and we should explore it with kindness.” - Anonymous

  • “I loved school and wanted to be a teacher from the time I entered kindergarten. I grew up in a military family and moved frequently. Everywhere I went, I loved school and was a good student. I realized that other kids didn't love learning like I did and it didn't come as easily to them as it did to me. I wanted to make a difference. I was a special education teacher for 20 years. This is my first year out.” - Lisa Heater Gerard