Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 5, 2016

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: WEEKEND QUOTABLES

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: WEEKEND QUOTABLES:

WEEKEND QUOTABLES

City Treasurer Kurt Summers and Aldermen Susan Sadlowski Garza and Ricardo Muñoz of the Progressive Caucus lead the way in the 10th Ward Labor Parade on Saturday. Photo credit: Fred Klonsky
Sue Sadlowski Garza remembers Labor Day used to be a grand celebration.

Businesses shut down. Streets were lined with people watching floats go by. Parks hosted neighborhood fireworks shows. "But then it just stopped," said Sadlowski Garza, who is now an alderman in the 10th Ward. "I said 'man, nobody does a Labor Day parade. Let's bring it back.'" -- Tribune
Barack Obama

History has shown that working families can get a fair shot in this country – but only if we are willing to organize and fight for it. -- Open letter to America's workers
Clyde Bellecourt is one of the founders of the American Indian Movement

 "I am 80 years old. I've been jailed, I've been shot. This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. This is what I fought for." -- BBC
Company thugs attack pipeline protesters with dogs, pepper spray.
ESPN'S Paul Finebaum on Colin Kaepernick

"This country is not oppressing black people..."
"Usually people protest when they’ve been oppressed, when they have a legitimate stake in the action. I don’t know where Colin is coming from. What’s his beef with society, other than he’s upset with how the way people, in his mind, are being oppressed in this country?"
Finebaum apologized Thursday 

"I can spend the rest of my life trying to talk my way out of it, but I can't," Finebaum said. "I blew it. I simply did not have a good grasp of the situation. I Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: WEEKEND QUOTABLES: