Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Beyond Programs: A Teacher's Role in Preventing Bullying - NEA Today

Beyond Programs: A Teacher's Role in Preventing Bullying - NEA Today:

Beyond Programs: A Teacher’s Role in Preventing Bullying

Teachers in the Corridor


Bullying prevention programs do a good job of raising awareness and generating buy-in from school staff. However, programs can only do so much. For students to buy in, teachers, as first responders, must take the lead.
Beginning the school year with previews of the curriculum, overviews of rubrics and routines, expectations of homework, tardy policies, etc. is no longer adequate for creating a safe and supportive learning environment for kids. Ice breaker activities aren’t enough, either. Today’s teachers must be willing to engage in a direct dialogue with students about safety, concern, the freedom to make mistakes – and the opportunity to recover from those mistakes – respect, and acceptance. We must be willing to tell our own stories, share anecdotes, and assure students that we care about them, both corporately and as individuals.
The first day of school is a perfect time to share a bullying story of your own. As a K-2 student, I was picked on because of a speech impairment. When I spoke, the class whispered and giggled. Kids made sounds back to me at recess and lunch. Even relatives “teasingly” mimicked my inability to form the “S” sound correctly. As a result, I learned to use humor to divert attention from my speech to something else. I became the class clown as a way of coping. Thanks to a supportive and loving family, along with the outstanding work of a speech therapist, I was able to overcome the obstacle. Had I not, I very likely would never have become a teacher.
Why would a teacher use valuable class time to share a story like this? Aren’t there Beyond Programs: A Teacher's Role in Preventing Bullying - NEA Today: