Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 6, 2014

5 Ways To Cultivate A Culture Of Acceptance | Connected Principals

5 Ways To Cultivate A Culture Of Acceptance | Connected Principals:



5 Ways To Cultivate A Culture Of Acceptance

welcom
The other day, I sat in a conversation with a student and a DHS worker who had come to take her into custody. She was no longer able to stay at her host home and would be moving back to a shelter till a new home could be found. In the meantime, she would go to a different school.
As she sat in tears listening to the news, she said to the DHS worker, “No offense, lady, but DHS has done nothing for me. I’ve been from home to home, in and out the shelter, and from school to school. This was supposed to be my fresh start.”
In situations like this, we are all subject to the law. It didn’t matter that this girl was in my school and wanted to stay. The decision had been made, her history was long and complicated, and she would soon be off to another place.
Even though I know the realities beyond my control, it doesn’t make situations like this any easier to face. And this 

Authentic Communications Using Social Media
As many of you know, I have an active Twitter feed @drjcm and the district maintains an active Twitter feed @HilliardSchools and a Hilliard City Schools Facebook page. Many of you, especially students, posed some interesting comments and questions on these social media channels this week. While I can’t possibly answer every Tweet or post, here are a couple answers to commonly asked questions. Why
Not Everyone Is Able to Tweet and Post Who They Really Are
Originally posted at The Wejr Board blog There is often much discussion around the separation of our professional and personal lives on social media.  Some districts strongly encourage this separation while others encourage the blending of both.  I have been a supporter of the latter as I believe that if we share who we are online we develop better relationships with others.  In December, I tweete
Are Educators Passionate About Their Profession?
Educators, do you have to go to work? Or do you get to come to school? There’s a BIG difference between the two… I enrolled my 5 year old son into a hip hop dance class. The sessions are held in a sound proof studio with a window that allows parents to observe. It’s taught by an 18 year old kid (let’s call him Junior), with a high top fade (YES! They’re back!), wearing sagging skinny track pants