Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 15, 2013

My advice to TFA staffers: Quit For America | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

My advice to TFA staffers: Quit For America | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:

My advice to TFA staffers: Quit For America

The organization of TFA is a bit like a pyramid scheme.  There are a bunch of VPs who are making a lot of money for a non-profit, certainly six figures.  Then there are the majority of staffers, people who work in recruitment, teacher ‘effectiveness’, even the alumni team, IT, etc., who make much less.  But regardless of the status of the TFA staffer, they all have one thing in common:  They are all accessories to a $300 million annual fraud funded, in part, by taxpayers, and which has, I’m sorry to say, contributed to the weakening of the pubic school system which has, in turn, hurt innocent kids and, yes, their hard working teachers.
I feel kind of bad for these staffers.  I suppose there are some staffers who are oblivious about what seems so obvious to me.  But the majority, I think, are much too smart to not realize what, to use an expression from VP Juice Fong’s blog, “negative unintended consequences” TFA has caused and continues to cause.
It must be disheartening for those more enlightened staffers.  Like being in a relationship with a guy who used to be good and who still might have it in him to be good again, and who claims he is aware that he has not been himself lately but that he’s going to really try to turn over a new leaf soon, but who never demonstrates that these are any more than empty words.
To these staffers, I’m their secret hero.  They’re reading this right now and grateful that someone has the guts to call TFA out on this.  I’ve spoken to some of them and though they haven’t been so explicit, they have given me hints (and please TFA, understand that it’s not everyone I’ve