Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Newtown parent who lost her child thanks teachers for their... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

A Newtown parent who lost her child thanks teachers for their... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com:

A Newtown parent who lost her child thanks teachers for their dedication and courage 

  •  0 3 4 10
Ana Grace
Ana Grace was one of the young victims in the Newtown, Ct., school shooting in December. Her mother wrote a powerful essay thanking teachers for their dedication that day and every day.
Everyone ought to read this moving letter from a parent who lost a child in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in December. Here is an excerpt, but please go to Education Week to read the full piece. It is worth your time today.
By Nelba Marquez-Greene
As another school year begins and old routines settle back into place, I wanted to share my story in honor of the teachers everywhere who care for our children.
I lost my 6-year-old daughter Ana Grace on Dec. 14, 2012, in the rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My son, who was in the building and heard the shooting, survived.
While waiting in the firehouse that day to hear the official news that our daughter was dead, my husband and I made promises to ourselves, to each other, and to our son. We promised to face the future with courage, faith, and love.
As teachers and school employees begin this new year, my wish for you is that same courage, faith, and love.
It takes guts to be a teacher. Six brave women gave their lives trying to protect their 

 Get Schooled: Why is the North Atlanta High School principal leaving after only a year on the job? ?
"I'm not leaving because I have to," says North Atlanta High School principal Howard "Gene" Taylor on a video message to the school community today. So, why is the highly regarded administrator returning to Gwinnett County after only a year leading an APS high school? I have had emails from ...