Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The problem with high-tech ‘personalized’ learning tools

The problem with high-tech ‘personalized’ learning tools:


The problem with high-tech ‘personalized’ learning tools

techSWSXedu was a big hit in Texas last week, where technology companies (such as Rupert Murdoch’s Amplify Education) hawked their new education gadgets that they promised would help kids learning by providing “individualized” instruction. Really? Here’s a skeptical view on that notion from educator Sabrina Joy Stevens, who attended SWSXedu and came away disturbed. Stevens is a teacher-turned-education activist based in Washington, DC. She currently works at the American Federation of Teachers.
By Sabrina Joy Stevens
I’ve been blessed with many great learning experiences, but one of my favorites involved the first time I read “Little Women.”
Towards the end of third grade, our class was saying goodbye to our much-loved student teacher. As part of our good byes, Miss P gave each of us a small gift. I can still remember how warmly and genuinely she smiled as she handed me a small copy of the classic book. “I know it’s pretty old,” she said, “but I really think you’ll like it. Especially Jo.”
An avid reader, I was excited and grateful. Over the next few days, as I raced through the pages and discovered that– yes, I really did like this book, and especially Jo—I remember