Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I DID NOT use the word “Failed” in the headline. You inserted that in an absolutely unethical and outrageous bit of editing. (Failed DC Chancellor edit in question) Michelle Rhee: Reformer, Zealot, Both or Something Else?

PBS | Ombudsman | Michelle Rhee: Reformer, Zealot, Both or Something Else?:

Content Removed at the request of Mr. Getler


I am the ombudsman at PBS. The headline on my column of Jan. 11 was: “Michelle Rhee: Reformer, Zealot, Both or Something Else?” I DID NOT use the word “Failed” in the headline. You inserted that in an absolutely unethical and outrageous bit of editing. Please take it down immediately and issue a correction. For an “education” website to do this is truly remarkable.



Dear Mr Getler:
Yes I do edit headlines for effect, if the main stream media can use the phrase "failed schools and bad teachers" then stating the same about the icon of the reform movement seems to be fair (to me).
I have noted your objection.
Thanks
Mike Simpson
Big Education Ape