Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 23, 2012

Kimble's Corner: Congressman Kindle Begins Food Stamp Challenge

Kimble's Corner: Congressman Kindle Begins Food Stamp Challenge:

Congressman Kindle Begins Food Stamp Challenge

Today, I began the Food Stamp Challenge.   I did this not because it is easy, but because even in a prosperous district like mine, there are many people who are hurting.   There many unemployed and underemployed people who rely on food stamps to feed their families.  I read today that 80% of Walmart employees are on food stamps and I wanted to know their struggle first hand.   Please check out the challenge for yourself.

According to the challenge, the food stamp benefit in California is only about $31.50 per day.   I've seen Rachel Ray survive on $40 per day, but that was a few years back.   I knew right away that some luxuries would be off limits this week.  I would not be able to afford my favorite 1.5 pound lobster stuffed with a smaller 1 pound lobster and even a second glass of wine at dinner would be a stretch.  I knew reducing tipping down to 5% would help, but for one of the first times in my life I would know real hunger.
Breakfast: I love my coffee and today was no exception.  I sat down to the paper at East of Java Coffee Shop for '