Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 26, 2012

NYC Educator: If We Could Put that State of Mind in a Bottle, We'd Be Rich

NYC Educator: If We Could Put that State of Mind in a Bottle, We'd Be Rich:


If We Could Put that State of Mind in a Bottle, We'd Be Rich

Yesterday a girl in my class got a 44 on my test. It freaked me out a little, because the test was fairly easy. In fact, it was a multiple choice test, which I don't usually give, and she filled in eight "E" answers, though the options were only A, B, C, and D.

This is the third test I've given this year. She was absent for the first one, and was out for three days in a row. In the rush of beginning the year, I failed to follow up on that. However, the second time she missed a test, I got a guidance counselor who spoke her language to call home. Since then, she's been early for class every day and hasn't missed a single moment.