Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 4, 2012

Commentary: Teacher voice must lead policy | EdNewsColorado

Commentary: Teacher voice must lead policy | EdNewsColorado:


Commentary: Teacher voice must lead policy

Teacher Jessica Keigan reflects back on her hybrid role this past year and says more teachers must be brought to the forefront in policymaking.
I love to eat out. In fact, for my 33rd birthday this year, I made a goal to visit 33 new Denver area restaurants. After a great meal out, I often think “I’d like to recreate that dish at home,” but truth be told, the reason I like to eat out is because I get to enjoy the expertise and gifts of the great chefs who are cooking for me. And even if I do try to cook a favorite dish, I would never go back to the restaurant and offer pointers to the head chef about how he is doing his job. 
As a teacher, I think about this often, as I hear various individuals commenting on how teachers should do their jobs. Of course I had my opinions about how teaching worked prior to entering the classroom. I, like most people, am a product of the public school system, which means I had roughly 15,000 hours of classroom