Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Everything You Need to Know about Charters

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Everything You Need to Know about Charters:


Everything You Need to Know about Charters

I got a tweet from Stand for Children - Washington:

Everything you need to know about non-profit public charter schools.
with a link to this page.

I went to the page and found a brief statement about the charter school initiative and video about a charter school in Tennessee. Not exactly everything I needed to know.

I also found a link to this page, which proved more informative. This page had a lot of statements like this:
  • Public charter schools were more effective for lower income and lower achieving students than for higher income and higher achieving students. In addition, charter schools in large urban areas had positive impacts on student achievement in math. (Mathematica Policy Research, 2010). 
  • Black and Hispanic students who attended charter schools in NYC for eight years closed the achievement gap with affluent suburbs like Scarsdale by 86% in math and 66% in English. (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2009). 
Now, I don't doubt this data - I have no reason to doubt it - but it isn't actually what I need to know. What I want