Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Daily Kos: I am supporting the reelection of the President

Daily Kos: I am supporting the reelection of the President:


I am supporting the reelection of the President

Perhaps some will be surprised by this post.  After all, I have been and remain highly critical of the administration on a number of issue, most notably on education.
Some may remember my post in February, Dear Mr. President,, in which I raised some of my concerns as a teacher.   Yet even in that post I noted
There are things your administration has done that we respect, at least most of us.  The American Reinvestment and Recovery Act meant large numbers of teachers and other public employees did not lose their jobs.  Under ARRA, for the first time ever the Federal government for two years just about met its commitment to provide 40% of the average additional costs imposed by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.  There was also the $10 billion in funds to support local government employment that also save some jobs.    We acknowledge these things.
I have been a critic because I want this President to succeed.  I approach things keeping in mind both a candidate who said that change comes from the bottom and that he wanted us to come to Washington with him to make that change, and a former President, FDR, who once told supporters
"I agree with you, I want to do it, now make me do it."
This President HAS done a lot of good.   This President HAS made a difference.  This President HAS earned the right to continue in office.And the alternative is too horrid to consider.
Please keep reading.