Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 24, 2012

NYC Educator: Bullets Are Only One Small Part of the Gun

NYC Educator: Bullets Are Only One Small Part of the Gun:

Bullets Are Only One Small Part of the Gun

So says Mike Klonsky, on whether VAM, or value-added, should be part of any evaluation system. This notwithstanding, there are various ways of looking at New York's new evaluation system, and UFT High School VP Leo Casey may not see eye to eye with Klonsky.

I'd like nothing more than to agree with Casey. This would mean that all my colleagues and I were not in danger of arbitrary and capricious dismissal based on the junk science that is VAM. In fact, I very much admired Casey's recent piece, In Bad Faith, which nailed the DOE on its abject hypocrisy in the negotiation process.

However, I tend to agree with Diane Ravitch and