Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 25, 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Politics and Honest Sport: I Wish They Were More Similar

An Urban Teacher's Education: Politics and Honest Sport: I Wish They Were More Similar

Politics and Honest Sport: I Wish They Were More Similar

Most of my life I've appreciated healthy competition. In my youth my parents taught me to play tennis. In high school and college I played soccer. In college I took up basketball and racquetball. Today, I'll play just about anything that involves something of a cardio workout. The golf and fishing just are not for me.

But it's not just sport that I can appreciate competition in. Every now and then, I like to indulge in a video game or two, usually of the real-time strategy variety (e.g. Starcraft, the original Warcraft games - NOT World of Warcraft -, or the Command and Conquer Series). These are games in which you raise resources and a military in an effort to obliterate an opponent occupying the same territory. You have to be sly about how you allocate your many resources (time, units, gold, etc.) and how you both build and use your military. It requires a great deal of strategy, and even the best gamer in the world is likely to run into an opponent who can detect their