Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 15, 2011

My Reply to Stand for Children « Parents Across America

My Reply to Stand for Children « Parents Across America

By Susan Barrett

I appreciate that Oregon’s Stand for Children (SFC) chapter has responded to my post, but unfortunately this only further confirms for me that they have no interest in changing their agenda. In the past few days, I have been contacted by other parents who agree with me that Stand is notrepresenting their concerns.

For example, not once have I heard a parent say, “Gee, if only we had more Teach for America teachers, things would be better.” Yet, that is exactly what Sue Levin, the Oregon Executive Director of Stand advocated for in March of this year.

As for kicker reform, Stand replied that there was only one proposal brought forth. Yes, but