Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 1, 2011

Remembering Manning Marable « Outside the Cave

Remembering Manning Marable « Outside the Cave

Remembering Manning Marable

This post will eventually grow, but just feeling a need to write something right now.

I just found out that Manning Marable passed away today. One of the great historians of black American history, he was also a trailblazer as a black historian. On a more personal note, he was my teacher, professor, mentor, and thesis adviser for my master’s and has tremendously shaped my life and views. He is perhaps solely responsible for rekindling my love of history.

Manning’s life work is the first historical biography of Malcolm X. It comes out on Tuesday. I can’t think of anything more tragic. When I was studying with him, we read and gave suggestions on a couple chapters. I