Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

School Tech Connect: In Which The Candidates Speak For Themselves

School Tech Connect: In Which The Candidates Speak For Themselves

In Which The Candidates Speak For Themselves

I missed the city's mayoral forum yesterday, but kudos to WBEZ, Catalyst, and the Chicago News Cooperativefor assembling this questionnaire, which sort of encapsulates all the big issues in the current "reform" discussion. Have a looky-loo for yourself.

Here are some of the big takeaways from the survey for me:

Gerry Chico doesn't have an original idea in his head. He's a cliche artist, and I even wonder if he's a real candidate or if he's playing a role here for someone.

Miguel del Valle is still my guy. I think he can win, and I think he can govern. This is not a guy who's going to rollover and play dead for the teachers' union, but he does seem to understand that these schools are for all of the people of the city and that there are outside factors that affect achievement. I wish he were more about