Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 28, 2011

Recalling the teacher up the street | Thoughts on Public Education

Recalling the teacher up the street | Thoughts on Public Education

Recalling the teacher up the street

Christa McAuliffe 25 years after Challenger
By John Fensterwald - Educated Guess

I’ve been thinking a lot this week about Christa McAuliffe. The high school teacher who died in the Challenger explosion 25 years ago today would be near retirement age now.

Back then, McAuliffe lived a couple blocks away from me in a big Victorian in Concord, N.H., across the park where I’d take my daughter. I didn’t know her, but her selection as the first citizen in space and, of course, her death, deeply affected all of her neighbors – which is to say everyone in Concord – and beyond.

Over the years, I would sometimes stop by her black granite gravestone on my way to work. It’s a peaceful spot, with a good view of the hills beyond Concord, and I was fascinated by