Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Curriculum for Pre-k? « JD2718

Curriculum for Pre-k? « JD2718

Curriculum for Pre-k?

At last night’s UFT Exec Board the special order of business was to approve 4 resolutions – not to send to the Delegate Assembly – but rather to send directly to the NYSUT Representative Assembly.

One of them (which I wish I had read in advance) called for curriculum for pre-k. I raised a question (unfortunately, I was not well-prepared and did not articulate well), and abstained.

In retrospect, my concern fell in two related categories (not that I expresed myself this clearly):

  • Why should poor kids have curricula when rich kids don’t? I should have raised concern about losing playtime as a result.
  • In every other area where we have advanced standards for students, students and teachers have been