Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Seattle Public Schools community blog: An SPS Teacher who is a TFA Alum Speaks

Seattle Public Schools community blog: An SPS Teacher who is a TFA Alum Speaks

An SPS Teacher who is a TFA Alum Speaks

Now you know that normally I wouldn't print anything that is posted anonymously (and this person's original post at the thread will be eliminated). But I decided to print one here so that you can read it for yourself. It is from a Seattle teacher who is a TFA alum (and hey, turns out one of our new Executive Directors is too - Aurora Lora).

As I pointed out in my comments, there seems to not be some clear thinking here - evidence not given for statements made, lack of connection, etc. I would say the last paragraph is, to me, shocking. Because it puts TFA in a status above all other "conventionally" trained new teachers. Not that they are all "better" but really, a better class of people to be teachers.

I find that last paragraph profoundly disrespectful and disturbing.

As a TFA alum teaching in Seattle, I find that many of the comments posted in opposition to TFA go against my direct experience.

First, people seem terribly worried about the five weeks of training