Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: Highly Qualified Teacher in DCPS.....But is worth the aggravation?

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: Highly Qualified Teacher in DCPS.....But is worth the aggravation?

Highly Qualified Teacher in DCPS.....But is worth the aggravation?

Through five observations done on me while teaching at a DCPS elementary school last year, I scored a 'highly qualified' rating. This sounds just wonderful up front but the excitement soon melted away to reveal a very disappointing experience. Initially, as a reward for a job well done, I got sent this beautiful clear plaque which now sits in my classroom, I also got invited to a gala event for highly qualified teachers at the Kennedy Center, and most importantly, I was offered a large bonus with some very unsettling