Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This Week In Education: Media: National Journal Blog Vs. NYT Blog

This Week In Education: Media: National Journal Blog Vs. NYT Blog

Media: National Journal Blog Vs. NYT Blog

ScreenHunter_20 Aug. 09 11.09The National Journal has its education experts blog (currently discussing the relative merits of RTTT and i3), and the New York Times has its "Room For Debate" (which regularly includes education topics like cheating, textbook costs,ScreenHunter_21 Aug. 09 11.16 national standards). But which one is better, and are they any good? I'm on the National Journal one and I only skimmed the Times site so I may be disqualified from discussing this, but I'd say neither is very different or really

Thompson: Bring Back The "Culture Of Poverty" Debate

MoynihanIt has been 33 years since my advisor told me to delete the words "culture of poverty" from my dissertation -- even though I was referring to White sharecroppers. Using the phrase could kill my career, I was told. So you can imagine my reaction to ETS’s outstanding new report, When Progress Stopped, which is dedicated to Daniel Patrick Moynihan and his "prescient warning" about the decline of the Black family. After the