Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 9, 2010

Eduwonk � Blog Archive � Show Me The Money

Eduwonk � Blog Archive � Show Me The Money

Show Me The Money

Guest post by Jim Ryan

Thanks to Andy for inviting me to guest blog. I haven’t blogged much at all, so I apologize in advance if I’m lousy at it. I’m a law professor at the University of Virginia, and I write and teach about law and education. I recently finished a book, which will be published this week by Oxford University Press, which I may talk about later this week. For the first couple of days, though, I want to raise some questions that have puzzled me. I’m hoping readers will have answers.
A front page story in the NYT on July 27 described the recent findings of some education economists regarding the impact of good kindergarten teachers on their students over the long haul. The headline of the article says it all: “The Case for $320,000 Kindergarten Teachers.” The researchers estimated that this was the present value