Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 30, 2010

Blog U.: Ask the Administrator: Swimming Upstream - Confessions of a Community College Dean - Inside Higher Ed

Blog U.: Ask the Administrator: Swimming Upstream - Confessions of a Community College Dean - Inside Higher Ed
  • Ask the Administrator: Swimming Upstream

    By Dean Dad August 30, 2010 9:22 pm

    A new correspondent writes:

    I am thinking of making a change in my career path. I am a non-tenure track, full time instructor, starting my 8th year in this job. While I enjoy my job and it is reasonably stable even in a terrible economy & job market, it is obviously untenable as a seriously-long-term career option. But I really like working in a University community and I want to find a way to stay in that environment.

    I have also done some administrative work at this same campus and find that I am reasonably good at it and willing to do it (boring meetings, aside, and yes I know there are lots of those). And the work is never-ending, it seems. So I am considering going back to school and getting an MA (possibly PhD) in Higher Ed Admin from a well-regarded program. Now admitting this to fellow faculty on my campus would be like announcing that I have an undesirable social disease. The relationship between faculty and administrators on our