Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Educated Reporter: Judge Underhill clearly doesn't watch “Glee.”

The Educated Reporter: Judge Underhill clearly doesn't watch “Glee.”

Judge Underhill clearly doesn't watch “Glee.”

For a long time I was in the cheerleading-is-not-a-sport camp. This attitude partly stemmed from my own experiences in the early 1980s as a middle school cheerleader and briefly, until I realized the group was more about cementing popularity than about dancing, a high school pom-pom girl. There was nothing strenuous or rigorous about what we were doing; we were playacting, mostly, at what we thought cheerleading was supposed to look like. I don’t recall advisors or coaches, I don’t recall warming up or wearing out, and we certainly never competed against anyone.

Since then, of course, cheering has morphed into something completely different. Whether you have witnessed