Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 23, 2010

Week in Lab: Truancy Edition | Reflections on Teaching

Week in Lab: Truancy Edition | Reflections on Teaching

Week in Lab: Truancy Edition

I want to apologize to my readers, who come here to check into what I’m doing in the lab with my students. I have obviously disappointed in that area in the last month or two. Forgive me, but the extremity of events that have befallen myself, and my school, have overtaken not just this blog, but a lot of my life. I am still teaching, and have been teaching, I just haven’t been
quite as deliberate in my reflection on that practice. Okay, enough with the excuses, here is what is happening.
I’m not going to try to slap a happy face on this, or pretend this is great, or say it’s the end of Western Civilization, but teachers are less concerned with the pacing, thematic units of our text programs, and are really drilling down into shoring up student’s gaps in standards for testing, which starts the week after next. It’s not unexpected given what’s going on here, so it is what it is.

Second Grade

I’ve kept up on what the unit topics, but for second grade I’ve focused on Cause and Effect when looking at